Happy IWSG Day - Autumnal Blessings

I love this time of year and watching the landscape change colour. Yes, it also means its time to get the woolley hat out and polish the boots, but it's worth it. For me, autumn brings about new ideas and inspiration for my writing.

It was Autumn 2015 when I felt inspired to write an autumnal crime story. I entered it in a competition and was really proud of what I'd written. But after three years of rejections I expected another one - and I wasn't disappointed.  However, I really believed in the story and turned it into a 20,000 word novella. It lived on my harddrive and was very happy there. Bless. But...

In summer this year, yes two years later, I received an email out of the blue from the editor of a woman's magazine asking if I remembered the competition entry from 2015!! Of course I did and I was thrilled to accept her offer to work on it and submit it as a four part serial. AND, I sold it! 

The reason why I'm sharing this experience is to let people know that when things get tough, just keep going. The writing journey is ruthless but good things can happen, and it's important to hold onto that thought. Even more importantly, enjoy the process and take pride in your work.

Happy autumnal writing!!

www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com 



Comments

  1. It's the magic of autumn! It makes me want to write as much as I can before it turns into winter. Congrats on the good news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo and selling it. How random that it took them two years. But publication is publication, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And working alongside an editor during the process is a great experience.

      Delete
  3. Congrats. Way to stick to it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! So exciting it found a home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's quite inspiring! Yes, if it's a dream, don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the sale. Just goes to prove that sometimes "no" means "not right for us at this time".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Hope all is well with you, Liz.

      Delete
  7. Hi Nicola - a reminder ... not to throw anything out - we never know. Congratulations on that publication ... brilliant - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. We get some color here in Tampa...the cypress leaves turn rust. Looks great when you photoshop the vibrancy up about 40% *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never give up! Congrats on selling that story. Let us know when it's published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do, Diane. It's a four part serial so it won't probably be until next year. I'll keep you updated.

      Delete
  10. What a surprise! That's why you don't give up - or burn bridges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look after my bridges :) Wise move.

      Delete
  11. That is wonderful news, congratulations :-) And happy autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teresa. And just when I thought it would never happen. So thrilled.

      Delete
  12. My favourite time of year, Nicola, so I can identify with being inspired in autumn. So pleased that your story saw the light of day eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary. I hope all is well in Scotland.

      Delete
  13. Good for you! I'm still hoarding my dozens of novellas, busy polishing books one through sixteen again while contemplating serious rewrites on later ones. Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of work there, Darla. Good luck with all your rewrites.

      Delete
    2. Aw, thank you. I love these characters so much, it's easy (for the most part). I adore your holiday image at top, by the way (realized I didn't mention it earlier).

      Delete
    3. That's really odd news. Serials are such fun to write. Any idea when it will be out?

      Delete
    4. Meant 'good' news not 'odd' news!

      Delete
  14. Truly a testimony to that old saying about never giving up! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello! So pleased you've popped by. I love to read your comments, so do leave one - even if it's just to say 'hi'!