A Picture Paints a Thousand Words




Today, I am delighted to welcome Annalisa Crawford to my blog. Her new book, 'You. I. Us.' is available now!

'You. I. Us.' is a collection of vignettes, small scenes which hint at a story beneath and Annalisa has taken that idea to another level. For her blog tour, she asked 15 bloggers to ask her one question each, creating small insights into her life and writing.

My question to Annalisa was: In your collection 'You. I. Us' the artist character puts his heart into his latest sketch. If you sketched or painted your life’s most special moments what would your picture look like?

“It would be a huge canvass, full of family, pets, the beach, and laughter. And full of bright, abstract colours, nothing too defined. For me, the special moments of my life are the most normal—eating dinner with my kids and husband, watching an airshow with my dad and sister, sharing a glass of wine with my mum. You know those pictures that are created out of tiny photos, that would be perfect—all my every day moments built up into a portrait of me and my family.

My painting would probably need a soundtrack to it, too—music is very important to me, but very hard to draw! So, now I’ve created an interactive installation instead.

Interestingly, this is how my story ideas develop—a basic idea that just explodes the more I think about it.”

What wonderful imagery, Annalisa. I'd love to see that painting!  Wishing you much success and thank you so much for popping over to my blog. It has been a real pleasure to be part of your tour. 

You. I. Us.
Publication date: June 10, 2016
Genre: Short Stories (Single Author)


In You. I. Us., Annalisa Crawford captures everyday people during  poignant defining moments in their lives: An artist puts his heart into his latest sketch, an elderly couple endures scrutiny by a fellow diner, an ex-student attempts to make amends with a girl she bullied at school, a teenager holds vigil at his friend’s hospital bedside, long distance lovers promise complete devotion, a broken-hearted widow stares into the sea from the edge of a cliff where her husband died, a grieving son contacts the only person he can rely on in a moment of crisis, a group of middle-aged friends inspire each other to live remarkable lives.

Day after day, we make the same choices. But after reading You. I. Us., you’ll ask yourself, “What if we didn’t?”

About the author

Annalisa Crawford lives in Cornwall UK, with a good supply of moorland and beaches to keep her inspired. She lives with her husband, two sons, a dog and a cat. Annalisa writes dark contemporary, character-driven stories. She has been winning competitions and publishing short stories in small press journals for many years, and is the author of Cat & The Dreamer and Our Beautiful Child.
 




Comments

  1. Congratulations, Annalisa!
    Love the idea of a huge canvas, celebrating family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I had the skill to create it! Thanks Deniz :-)

      Delete
  2. Really unique question! I think my painting would need music as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for asking such a fantastic question, Nicola :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, Annalisa. The idea came from looking at a picture my friend painted for me. This was about four years ago when I was School Director. She came into my office one day holding a huge canvas. It was a painting of a rowing boat sailing out to sea. She told me when things got too stressful I should sail away and forget the world for a while. I can't tell you how often I drifted off into that painting. I still do :) This related to the artist character in your book and hence the question. Have a lovely day and thanks so much for being here today.

      Delete
  4. excellent question and I like the answer - I could see the interactive painting form. It's funny but a lot of art in my home is black and white photographs, so I'm thinking my painting would have to be shades of gray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How many shades??? Hehehe, sorry, childish, but I couldn't resist :-) Black and white photos are so beautiful.

      Delete
  5. LOL. Any good painting needs a soundtrack, right? RIGHT?!? (Love it.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annalisa...so glad to see you getting around the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try! I'll hopefully do more over the summer.

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a beautiful painting. I love the addition of a soundtrack. What's life without a soundtrack? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a great read! I'll have to check it out. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a gorgeous cover! I like this idea of asking a question for your blog tour. Very clever. I think your painting would be quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The questions I've been asked are so inventive - I've loved it :-)

      Delete
  10. That is a great question, Nicola. I love your answer, Annalisa. I would also want my loved ones and kiddies in my portrait/ picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My life wouldn't be right without them.

      Delete
  11. Great question and interesting how it morphed into a different sort of answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, that's just my inability to stay on track :-)

      Delete
  12. I loved your question and I loved Annalisa's answer. Very nice idea for a blog tour. Makes it interesting to see the author each time I visit one of her stops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee, glad you've enjoyed it. I have too - I had no idea what to expect from everyone who signed up, but they didn't disappoint me :-)

      Delete
  13. Her answer makes me want to read her stories!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a very visual person so when I am starting work on a book I tend to gather a lot of images. In fact, I've even made Pinterest galleries to support my writing ideas. It helps me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great idea Kathleen. Thanks so much for sharing.

      Delete
    2. I have a secret board where I store ideas for new stories - it's secret because they're so diverse people wouldn't have a clue what they were looking at! Pinterest is a great resource for writers.

      Delete
  15. I've just connected with Annalisa and am learning of her blog tour as I read the many blogs I follow. Thank you so much, Nicola, for sharing this with your followers. All the best to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria. I hope all is going well for you and wish you a lovely weekend.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for having a look around at them all, Victoria :-)

      Delete
  16. Smart choice of the painting to get a lot into it. The book sounds like an interesting concept.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an interesting question. I'm halfway through the book and enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an interesting concept - love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great question, and a brilliant answer. This book sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved your answer Annalisa. These questions for your book promotion are so cool.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello! So pleased you've popped by. I love to read your comments, so do leave one - even if it's just to say 'hi'!