M is for Magic



I recently read a book in a genre I don’t normally go for but it had been sitting on my Kindle for months and so, I looked into it. I’m glad I did. I was thrilled, saddened, enlightened, afraid and overjoyed – all wrapped into one. The book is The Magic Wakes by blogging buddy Charity Bradford.

Scientist, Talia Zaryn, is haunted by dreams of an alien attack on her planet, Sendek. Each dream ends with her death in the capital city Joharadin. She has spent her life avoiding the capital but without warning she is forced there to continue her work. Her fears escalate as her dreams intensify: the world will be annihilated by the Dragumon and Talia brutally murdered. In order to save Sendek and herself, Talia must reawaken and embrace her gift: magic.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Charity’s writing style is sharp and well crafted, which immediately pulls the reader into her world. The well-rounded characters played their part perfectly as the story unfolded. I am really looking forward to reading Charity’s next novel, which is hopefully out this year (no pressure).  

Comments

  1. I got to read the sequel, which comes out later this year, and it's awesome. You'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have fired my curiosity,thanks for visiting my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good combination of sci-fi and fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the characters and their story.

      Delete
  4. Glad to meet you for this challenge, a simple and nice post !

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great shout out for a book. Don't you absolutely love falling into a story and really enjoy reading to the end?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find dreams so inspiring and a book where they're the focus even more so. I'll be adding this one to my TBR list. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like stories about dreams

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great.

    https://ficklemillennial.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like living out her dream may be hazardous to her health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some hair-raising moments!

      Delete
  10. Sometimes you just have to try something completely different because it can be surprisingly good. It helps when that new thing is a really well written book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Reading a wide variety of genre does help me as a writer.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like it might be my kind of story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read a few books outside of my genre recently. Most are written by blogging buddies. It's always a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it that our community supports each other :)

      Delete
  13. I hope that Talia is able to save herself and her planet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It does sound like a good book.
    One thing I have gotten out of blogging is a broader range of books I read. I have always been a book snob in that I read literary mostly. But there are a lot of fun stories I would not have normally read out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some amazing writers and stories outside of the literary genre, Ann. You'd be missing out if you didn't give them a go too. I tend to alternate.

      Delete
  15. This sounds like a cool book. I haven't heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh, my reading list is just getting out of hand! There are way too many books that I'd like to read for the free time that I have.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello! So pleased you've popped by. I love to read your comments, so do leave one - even if it's just to say 'hi'!