Golden October


As I stepped out into the garden yesterday, I was greeted by lovely sunshine. Not a cloud in the sky. The dull autumnal landscape had transformed into a blast of colour. Up until then, October days had been dark and bleak. The most wondrous thing about this sunny, crisp day was it was my daughter’s 24th birthday. It was as if she was beaming down on me, sharing her day from across the miles. I can’t believe how quickly my little girl has grown up. And I must say she has developed into an intelligent, loving and amazing, independent young woman. I couldn’t be more proud. Happy Birthday, Alice!

We shared a special moment recently across the airwaves when I told her about a rejection of one of my short stories (the second this month). I think my daughter was more disappointed than I was. But that quickly dissipated when I told her how thrilled I was to receive this particular rejection. Why? Because I made it off the slush pile and onto the editor’s desk! She’d actually read it and responded personally to me saying that my writing was warm and the story enjoyable. However, it was not to be this time and she took the time to give me some useful feedback. 

Ruby Rejection
It is tough to break into the womag world of short story writing but knowing I am one step further has given me the motivation to continue to send out my work.

Have you ever been inspired or motivated by rejection or by someone else’s rejection?

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. So glad I snapped away yesterday, Mac. It's back to dull and gloomy today. Hope the sun is shining where you are.

      Delete
  2. Oh, the colors are gorgeous. Ours are slow to change this year. Too warm. Yes, I've been motivated by rejection. I think if we let it, it can really serve to make us better writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only since I've matured that I have really come to admire nature and its transformation. I am lucky to live in a country that still has prominent seasons. Thank you for commenting, Karen.

      Delete
  3. Definitely a positive rejection, Nicola. Useful feedback is how we writers can improve and move on. Well done.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I was so grateful to the editor for taking the time to praise me and give me feedback. It made my day. Now, for the next stage - that lovely phone call with even more encouraging news :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely pictures!

    You're right to be encouraged by that rejection. Personal feedback like that is rare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patsy. Have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  5. Those colours are gorgeous, Nicola, and have brightened my day. Thank you! The rejection is hugely encouraging and the interest shown in your story, together with the feedback, is worth its weight in gold. Good news will soon follow and in the meantime, I hope your lovely daughter has a very happy birthday. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanna. I really hope good news will follow soon :) Have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful autumn colours!
    Sounds like lovely comments from the editor :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teresa. I was on cloud nine when I received the editor's email. I felt very humbled by her comments and it gave me the motivation to continue sending my stories. Naturally, I will heed the advice given. Have a lovely weekend and thanks again for popping by.

      Delete
  7. Great job of finding the silver lining and that is excellent feedback that your writing is warm. You are obviously proud of the lovely woman your daughter has become. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping by to comment, Jennifer. I am a proud mommy :) Wishing you a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  8. Really positive feedback on that story! You are clearly on your way... x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you, S.K. Lovely to see you.

      Delete
  10. My daughter is 24 too. Can't believe how the time flies! Any rejections I receive just spur me on to write more. I remember the first time I received my first 'personal' rejection - like you I was thrilled. Funnily enough I posted a clip of it on last week's blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your post just after I published mine Wendy. It was a great inspirational post that filled us all with hope. Have a great week and happy November!!

      Delete
  11. The editor must really be impressed with your writing to take time out to give you feedback. Well done. Keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the words of encouragement, Keith. It's lovely to see you. Haven't seen you in ages!! Hope the family are all keeping well.

      Delete
  12. I love this time of year and the color explosion. And congrats on getting out of the slush pile. That's a big step!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous pictures! Rejections use to get me down, but now they drive me forward. Have a lovely week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine. I hope you have a lovely week too.

      Delete
  14. Wow, I can feel that sunshine!
    Yes, you're right to be excited by an encouraging rejection, it's only half a step away from an acceptance. Onwards and upwards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaww, thank you, LInda. I really appreciate your words of encouragement.

      Delete
  15. I remember when I received form rejections and slowly started to get personal rejections. I saw that as a sign of improvement and hope. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Medeia. That's how I'm trying to view things too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello! So pleased you've popped by. I love to read your comments, so do leave one - even if it's just to say 'hi'!