Meltdown




Summer has arrived in force, reaching temperatures of 39 degrees. “Feeling, Hot! Hot! Hot!” I decided to treat myself to a haircut. 

As I was enjoying my head massage, I asked the hairdresser to give my eyes a treatment as well – colouring for my eyelashes and eyebrows. Why not?
I was very happy with the results and wandered into town to show off my new look.  Surprisingly, I was very sociable and chatted away to several shop assistants as I browsed, tucking my newly cut hair behind my ears from time to time.

After an hour or two, I headed home and couldn’t wait to show my husband the new me (I hid the new shoes and handbag in the boot of my car – ssshhh!). However, I was taken aback at the quizzical look that greeted me.

“What’s the matter?” I asked. “Don’t you like my new hair-do?”

“Lovely hair, darling,” he said, with a continuing puzzled look on his face. “But there is something not quite right. I think you should look in the mirror.”

Well, as I peered at my reflection, I gasped in horror. My husband was right. The heat had worked overtime on my eyebrows, leaving smudges of huge, brown oval shapes across my forehead and around both eye sockets. I looked like a zombie having a very bad day.  After twenty minutes of laughing at the ‘new’ me, I made a list of all the shops I mustn’t visit again in the near future. 

Have you ever had an embarrassing meltdown?

Comments

  1. Hey, you gave those people something to talk about over dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! :) Thanks for reading and commenting, Alex. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could get a short story out of this. As your ex-writing tutor I have thrown down the gauntlet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gasp!!!!! That's awful, Nicola. I once had my eyebrows tinted, and the girl flashed the mirror infront of me quickly. I got home looking like a circus clown. I had to scrub and scrub to get them off. Someone once said, 'why don't you have tatooed eyebrows' not on your life, I'll stick to my 'benefit eyes' kit, with a gel and a colour to go on top instead...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually I am quite happy - not too dark and very natural looking. But a new assistant did them this time round. I thought they looked a bit dark but I didn't like to say anything in case of getting the poor young girl in trouble. In retrospect, perhaps I should have said something :) But then I wouldn't have had a good laugh at myself.
      I think I might give your 'venefit eyes' kit a try. Sounds a bit safer :) Oh and good for you, not having tatooed eyebrows. A friend of mine had that done and it looks dreadful. Doll like. Hmmm poor thing is stuck with them.

      Thanks for popping by to comment, Susan. Always lovely to 'see' you.

      Delete
    2. Obviously, that should say 'benefit' and not 'venefit' he! he! he!

      Delete
  5. Oh no! That would be quite embarrassing. But maybe no one really noticed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping my radiant smile outshine the 'gravy-browning' look :) Thanks for popping by, Cherie. It's always lovely to 'see' you. Wishing you continued success and that monthly word count is amazing. Congrats!

      Delete
  6. Teehee. I couldn't help but giggle with you while reading that. When it's summer, I use very little makeup and definitely skip brow filler and eyeliner. At least you can laugh about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still giggle at the thought. Thanks for popping by to read and comment, Chrys. All the best.

      Delete
  7. LOL You made me laugh out loud!! I could just see you bopping around the stores being so friendly and happy and then come home to see your face. :) Lovely story too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terri. It's one funny memory to add to my bank of mishaps! Good thing I have a sense of humour and don't take myself too seriously. Wishing you a lovely week.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello! So pleased you've popped by. I love to read your comments, so do leave one - even if it's just to say 'hi'!