Hello, Dolly!


Music has always been an important part of my life and my younger brother and I loved it when the house filled with the sounds of Dolly Parton, Glen Campbell and John Denver. 

I was thrilled to arrive home in the UK last Sunday and especially so when my lovely mother presented me with a ticket to see Dolly Parton and friends at the local Malvern Theatre. Okay, it wasn’t the real Dolly but Sarah Jayne gave a believable and stunning performance as the Country Queen. If I had been sitting on the twirling judge’s chair of The Voice, I would have turned and expected to see Dolly herself.

The Country Superstars Experience show was one of the most authentic and charismatic tribute events I have attended. The audience was treated to Sarah Jayne’s vocal talents in the shoes of Tammy Wynette, Patsy Cline and Billie Jo Spears as well as the awesome Dolly Parton. Not forgetting the male Country stars: Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, John Denver and my ‘crush’ Garth Brookes took to the stage and filled the auditorium with their own individual tones and much loved songs. These voices were impersonated to perfection by Andy Crust – who even had the individual swaggers down to a T.

The atmosphere the duo created in the theatre was electric and by the end of the show, no one wanted to go home. We were most definitely left on a high as the closing act, Kenny Rogers, took to the stage. Dolly Parton entered for the grand finale duet – Islands in the Stream. Everyone was on their feet, singing and dancing and thoroughly enjoying the Country Superstars Experience.

I love country music. For me, it is the perfect union of great story telling and harmony. Do you like country music?


Comments

  1. That sounds fantastic, Nicola - so pleased you got to enjoy such a great evening. I adore lots of music and listen while I work, but my husband is keener on country music than I am. I like it well enough when I hear it but wouldn't choose it on CD. I can certainly appreciate how much the evening would mean to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Rosemary. It was a lovely evening and lifted my spirits. It was great to sing along and have so much fun with my mum and my little brother (who is now 43 - but will forever be my little brother). I hope you are having a great week. Lovely to 'see' you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicola, Thank you so very much for a lovely review of our show, we are so happy you enjoyed our Country Superstars Experience and really do hope to see you again in the future xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, Sarah Jayne. I only give honest reports :) I hope to see you both again very soon too. Keep the music alive! All the best and thank you for popping by to comment.

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed your post, Nicola, as I agree that country music always has a a story to tell. I do like some country songs very much and I remember buying an Olivia Newton-John album years ago that I played constantly and I also really liked the soundtrack from Brokeback Mountain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the soundtrack too, Joanna. Thank you so much for popping by to comment.

      Delete
  5. I am not a great country music fan, but a country song I heard on the radio inspired me to write my story 'Coming Home' which was later published in The People's Friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that story, Wendy! Hope you are enjoying the 'summer' :) Thank you for popping over to comment. Lovely to 'see' you.

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't describe myself as a country music fan, but I do like Dolly Parton. And a live performance of any kind of music is always more enjoyable than just listening to a recording, isn't it? Pleased you had a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think live performances are always better than recorded. You can really get involved in the music along with everyone else and have a great time. Thank you for commenting, Linda.

      Delete
  7. I grew up on country music as my dad played in a small band. But I hated it as a teen and an adult until I moved to Texas. Soon a new love for it grew and I still listen to it occasionally here in Fl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are enjoying a wonderful Floridian summer, Terri. Thank you for popping over to comment. Wishing you a great weekend.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a good night. I don't really listen to country now, but when our kids were young and we were all in the car, we used to listen to a country music station (can't remember its name). The kids' favourite was a song called 'All my Exes live in Texas.' In case you don't know it, it went 'All my exes live in Texas/And Texas is the place where I would love to be/But all my exes live in Texas/Which is why I lay my hat in Tennessee.' We all sang it at the tops of our voices. Happy days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Super comment, Fran. Thanks for popping by. I will have to dig that song out and have a listen and a sing-a-long. Have a great weekend. Hope you are enjoying your summer break.

      Delete
  9. What a talented young lady she is and lovely too. Glad you had a great time. There's something soothing and really relaxing about country music isn't there? I like the blanket on the ground song, always brings a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sang the blanket song so beautifully with authenticity. It bought a tear to my eye. Sarah Jayne was also lovely off stage which added to the wonderful evening. Thank you for stopping by to comment, Susan. Lovely to 'see' you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello! So pleased you've popped by. I love to read your comments, so do leave one - even if it's just to say 'hi'!