It is what it is!



I have been plagued with virus after virus since returning to teaching in January. Not only is it embarrassing to be signed off sick numerous times when I am usually dependable but extremely scary to look in the mirror and see the facial transformation, reminiscent of an ‘ugly sister’ – a peeling red nose, chapped lips and pimples that are attempting to excrete the pesky germs from my body. Nanny McPhee on a bad day springs to mind. I must admit, for a few weeks, I have felt sorry for myself but no more! Thanks to a young cashier in my local supermarket. 

I stood watching my goods lazily sail down the conveyor belt and then panicked as they passed through the machine at double speed needing to be bagged. I hastened to pack them into the ‘still free’ carrier bags when the young girl behind the till gave me a sympathetic smile and said, "Take your time. No need to hurry."  I glanced back at the queue of people eagerly awaiting my exit from the building but the cashier insisted on slowing down her zapping of the groceries so I could keep up. Noticing my concern at irritating the other shoppers, the friendly cashier threw me another smile and stated, "Don’t worry: it is what it is!"

On reflection, she was right. Why do we spend so much time worrying about things that we can’t change? It is what it is. I will be forever grateful to that young, wise girl for introducing me to such simple, yet inspirational words.  She was definitely a ray of sunshine, when I needed it.

Have you ever been inspired by an act of kindness?

Comments

  1. The kind tattooed, pierced young man who offered his seat to my mum on the train when everyone else ignored the fact she was elderly and standing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely. Hope you are keeping well. Thanks for popping by.

      Delete
  2. ah :) it is what it is. Wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you .....hhaaaaaCHOOOOO! I could do with some Florida sunshine :)

      Delete
  3. I love that philosophy - 'it is what it is'. I sympathise with your viruses. My wee granddaughter is at nursery three days a week and her parents are both teachers - they often share various viruses between them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Rosemary. One teacher in the house is quite enough - two must be challenging :):)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely cashier. And a great philosophy. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is surprising how much relief leaves one's shoulders when the words are uttered out loud. Thank you for commenting, Lynne.

      Delete
  5. I needed to hear these wise words today, Nicola. Thank you for a lovely post.

    It's the small acts of kindness which inspire me. The person who is kind to children and the elderly. The person who holds the door when I'm struggling with a heavy bag. And the friends and family who are always there when I need them most.

    I hope the coming of spring brings you good health soon. Although he's not a teacher, my husband has had virus after virus since before Christmas so I have some appreciation of what you've been going through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Jen. I do hope your husband feels better soon. It is one long drag - but - it is what it is :)

      Even just a friendly, kind, sincere smile can bring a ray of sunshine to someone's day. I try to do that as often as I can.

      Wishing you a lovely Easter time, Jen and I hope that the Spring brings us all good health. All the best.

      Delete
  6. I recognise that feeling of panic as goods mount up at the end of the conveyor (& the Rudolph nose that comes with a streaming cold). Well done to the assistant for not hurrying you! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sally. Congratulations again on your success so far! Your news has cheered me up and I am willing you to win :) All the best.

      Delete
  7. Glad the cashier was sympathetic, Nicola. Get well soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. Hope you are keeping well. All the best.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely philosophy. How lucky that you went to that particular check-out till. Small kindnesses make all the difference. We've all been in that position, with the shopping piling up.

    I hope the virus disappears soon. So good to have you blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susanna. Pesky viruses love to linger, don't they? I hope you are keeping well. All the best!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello! So pleased you've popped by. I love to read your comments, so do leave one - even if it's just to say 'hi'!