Time Trap

I must admit, I was struggling to find inspiration for this week’s post. I was looking out of my dining room window, gazed up at the sky and found my clouded brain humming over me. I stepped outside with my camera, took a picture and began to reflect. My thoughts were interrupted by the village’s church bells chiming three times. Those tolls struck me like one of Vicky the Vikings’ special sparkling moments. Time.

Has anyone ever taken a moment to think about the cause of life’s stress? We have all experienced it in one way or another and more often than not, stress is caused by the element of time. ‘I don’t have time.’ ‘I don’t know when I’m going to find the time to do that.’ ‘I haven’t got time for this now.’ ‘Stop wasting time!’ I suppose it’s a fact of life that the phenomenon of ‘time’ is an inevitable controlling factor of our very existence: even in its invisible state.

Just before Christmas, I agreed to return to a teaching role for the next six months and my first thought was to consider the time factor. ‘When am I going to find time to write?’ After being the boss of my own time for the past 18 months, the thought of having that power taken away from me was quite daunting and the excuses began to accumulate. ‘I’m not going to have time for this.’ ‘I can’t possibly fit that in.’ I promptly ordered myself to stop and re-evaluate my time management to synchronise with the new situation.



Get up an hour earlier and write 200 words minimum 
Utilise every moment in school to get the work done 
Think of my teaching as a learning process for me – improve my analytical skills, enhance my grammar and editing skills and increase my vocabulary
Ask the husband to help around the house and take it in turns to prepare dinner
Spend the evenings catching up on reading and commenting on blogs, story planning
Weekends – at least three hours each day purely for writing

So far, this is working. I would be interested in learning about how you manage your time and what your best excuse for not writing has been in the past.

Comments

  1. Some good time management ideas there. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't claim to be the greatest at time management but I am willing to try everything to make the most out of the restrictions time puts on me. Have a great week, Suzanne and thank you for popping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picture. Love those kinds of shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by. Great 'to see' you.

      Delete
    2. My little head is cut off and I can't get it back on. I might have to remove my dress to fit my big fat head in. Not sure.

      But with regard to time, I don't feel that rush of out of time, don't have the time, can't find the time. Thank gosh, because good golly, that doesn't sound fun.

      Delete
    3. According to my husband - half a head or partial head on a pic is modern. Don't see the appeal myself - I just think it's rude :):)
      Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  4. Some people consciously try to manage their time? Really?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far too witty for me at 05:00 :) Is getting up at ridiculous o'clock, me managing my time? Have a great week, Mac.

      Delete
  5. They say busy people get things done - you might actually write more now.
    Not sure if you are following me, but you always visit, Nicola. So I am now following you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex. I'll let you know if I write more. AND, I'll let you know if that 'more' is worth getting up before the birds for. :)

      Delete
  6. It's a strange thing but I sometimes wonder whether I might get more writing done if I was working - purely because it condenses the time you have and makes it more valuable, making it less likely that you'll waste it procrastinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, after the day I've had, I would prefer procrastination
      any day :) But what going back to work is teaching me is to be even more disciplined with my time. After this six month stint, I will most definitely be revising my writing timetable and become more proactive in my endeavour to get my short stories and my novel published.

      Delete
  7. Time definitely is the problem, but get up an hour earlier? I like my sleep! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding that I love the solitude in the morning. But I do sleep in at the weekend. I'm not telling what time I was up on Saturday :)

      Delete
  8. It's so nice to meet you! I have had to return to work quite often during my writing years. I usually would write on weekends or in the evening. It all worked out. But I can't get up earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to meet you too, Terri. I find I am so wound up when I get home from work that I can't really focus on serious writing. The morning works better for me - before anyone interfers with my world :) Thank you for sharing your experience. It's great to know that it can work out.

      Delete
  9. What an interesting post. I think we all feel we could do with more time, but actually I don't think it's the amount of time that matters so much as what you do with it and that all comes down to determination and discipline. Good for you, analysing your time available.

    I set aside time every day for writing. Something that has helped me with this recently is my writing diary. I am busy editing at the moment and every day, I record not just how many pages, but also notes on changes and improvements, and I find that this is a source of inspiration. The writing diary is, of course, your idea - so thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susanna. It's so nice to know that my shared thoughts are proving useful to others. I am really pleased that you are being motivated by your diary and it seems that things are progressing really well. So happy for you. Keep up the good work :)

      Delete
  10. I don't think I could get up an hour earlier--4:45 AM is pretty early as it is. And usually my creative mind hasn't woken up by then. Lunchtime is prime though.

    I think I blame my children for my lack of writing. Both of them love attention. And I'm all too eager to give it to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely of you to drop by, Loni. Thank you. 4:45 am is even earlier than me! Make the most of your children whilst they are still young. My daughter is all grown up now and even though I treasure our chats on the phone, her physical presence is sorely misses ;( Mind you, she is a great motivator for my writing now, which is great.

      Delete
  11. Great post! I like your time management schedule. I often find myself stressing about time. I know if I focus, I can get what I need to done. I write while my son is in preschool for a few hours in the mornings and then at night after he goes to bed. Sometimes I find it hard to balance marketing and writing. I really should do up a schedule for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm how to find a balance? That is a tricky one. I'm not in the position yet to have to balance marketing and writing but I have definitely had to become more disciplined with my writing since working full time (Thank goodness it's only a six month contract). Wishing you continued success, Christine and thanks for popping by. It's lovely to see you again.

      Delete
  12. I think you may actually get more writing done as you won't waste the time you've got, Nicola. Now that I'm retired I know I spend too much time day-dreaming or thinking about writing - I say it's my way of doing research for a story! ;-) Good luck with managing your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, Jan. Getting into a new routine has proved challenging but I'm rising to it - sort of. Thank you for your comment and for popping by. It's lovely to see you. All the best!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello! So pleased you've popped by. I love to read your comments, so do leave one - even if it's just to say 'hi'!